Mayer Brown : Adopt-an-Oyster Programme
This programme is only for employees of Mayer Brown
Healthy coastal waters are essential for marine life. For HK$250 you can sign-up to be part of Mayer Brown's joint initiative for positive socio-economic impact with the Hong Kong charity, A Plastic Ocean Foundation (APO), which, amongst other worthy projects, sustainably cultivates pearl oysters at a farm in Sai Kung to help the environment.
WHY PEARL OYSTERS?
Through their amazing filtering capabilities, pearl oysters can remove the harmful effects of pollutants to purify coastal waters – each oyster purifying over 60,000 litres of seawater per year* – in addition to micro-habitat building and helping other sea life to flourish. The oysters also produce commercially viable cultured pearls which can be made into Chinese medicine.
WHAT DO I GET FOR HK$250?
Your HK$250 will help support APO’s “Sustainable Pearl Cultivation” programme. Each oyster adoption will contribute to:
· the filtering of over 60,000 litres of seawater per year*
· the provision of new micro-habitats for fish and mobile invertebrate species
· the removal of excess nitrogen from sea water as oysters absorb nitrogen through feeding, preventing the occurrence of "red tide" which is caused by the uncontrolled growth of toxic algae as a consequence of excessive nitrogenous pollution
· the creation of job opportunities for underprivileged women to help care for the oysters
In recognition of your contribution, you will receive from APO:
· A raw pearl at the end of the adoption/campaign period**
· An email report of your oyster's progress and its environmental impact
· A donation receipt
And if circumstances permit, there might even be an opportunity to visit the oyster farm to see your adopted oyster in 2022.
This is both a worthwhile and fascinating investment, with a delightful reward at the end for you and the environment. Sign up now by clicking the button below by 31 January 2022.
*According to research by APO.
**Please refer to the firm's internal announcement for the terms and conditions. Please use your office email address to sign up.
- Stock: In Stock
- Model: APO_MB